When you want to remodel your kitchen, it helps to know some of the terms used by professionals so that you can understand what they are talking about. As you go to choose the various items that will be used in your kitchen remodel, it will be important to be able to talk with the contractor who is doing the work for you.
Common Kitchen Remodeling Terms
- Accent lighting is lighting that emphasizes a particular area, or light that highlights a piece of art. It is generally not lighting that is used to brighten up a room, but is for decorative purposes.
- Ambient lighting is a term that is commonly used to describe the overall lighting in the room. The lighting is usually diffused throughout the entire room.
- The term apron refers to the trim that is either below a windowsill or a tabletop.
- The backsplash area is the area on your walls in the kitchen between the countertops and the bottom of the wall cabinets.
- A load-bearing wall is a wall that is built as a supportive structure within the home. This is the opposite of a non-load bearing wall, or one that is built for decorative purposes only.
- The casing refers to the framing that surrounds a window or door opening.
- When you are remodeling a kitchen, you have to take into consideration how all of the new appliances, cabinets, and countertops are all going to fit within the kitchen. Clearance space refers to the amount of room available, or the amount of clearance available, to put an appliance or cabinet in a specific area.
- Fixture is a word used to describe a number of items at a construction site. It can be used to describe all or part of a sink, the plumbing below it, an appliance, a light or the housing it comes in.
- The molding used in your kitchen remodel is the trim, or the wood, that surrounds your windows to give the windows a finished look.
- Your contractor might discuss your kitchen’s sustainability, which refers to the practice of not using additional resources to build. The goal is to avoid further depletion of natural resources when you are trying to create a sustainable kitchen design.
Are you ready to put these terms to use in your Atlanta kitchen remodel? Stop by our Atlanta granite showroom to pick out the perfect countertops for your remodel.