Quartz & Granite: A Geologist’s Perspective

Trevor Nace is a geologist and regular contributor to Forbes. He recently spoke on both granite and quartz countertops, providing a comparison of each so readers can choose which one better fits their needs.

Granite Countertops

Granite develops when molten rock cools. The size of the mineral crystals of this igneous rock depends on how long it takes to cool. The slower the rock cools, the larger the crystals will be. When granite is formed, it’s underneath rock and sediment that heat the rock enough to melt it. The granite found today is close to the surface, meaning at some point, it uplifted and the sediment separated from it during erosion.

Quartz Countertops

Many people don’t realize that unlike granite countertops, quartz countertops are man made. They typically consist of around 90% quartz and the remaining 10% is a composition of polymers, resins and pigments. These additional elements make quartz countertops incredibly durable without allowing any pores or cracks into the countertop. The pigments are added to create a coloration that is naturally found in quartz arenite.

Comparing the Two

When it comes time to compare granite countertops and quartz countertops, there are several factors to consider:

  • Price You’ll ultimately end up paying more for a quartz countertop than a granite one, but that extra cost may be worth it for the benefits you’ll get with quartz that you won’t get with granite.
  • Durability – Quartz is a naturally stronger stone than granite is, plus the added polymers and resins in a quartz countertop provide extra strength to the manmade stone.
  • Variation – Granite is extracted in its exact form, which means that no two slabs will ever be alike. If design aesthetic is one of your main concerns, choosing granite is the way to go.
  • Maintenance – Quartz is nonporous, which means it won’t stain easily. On the other hand, you can have your granite countertops sealed to keep them looking beautiful as well.

At the end of the day, it all comes down to what your personal needs are for your kitchen or bathroom. If you’re not renovating on a strict budget, quartz may be the best option. If you love the idea of having a one-of-a-kind countertop, opt for granite. If you’re having trouble choosing, contact us today at Premier Surfaces so we can help you pick your perfect countertop.

  • Our kitchen looks awesome!

    “I wanted to tell you what a wonderful experience Mike and I had with putting in our granite counters last week. We had never done a make-over before, so when my husband suggested putting in granite counters I groaned.  Little did I know at the time how smooth and painless everyone at Premier Surfaces would make it. Every encounter was extremely professional. Our kitchen looks awesome and I really appreciate having the opportunity to work with such a great group of people. If we ever decide to do anything like that in the future we will use definitely use Premier Surfaces.”

    Mike and Janet

  • Done right the FIRST time!

    “I walked in on a Friday, and was surprised to see just how busy they were — always a good sign of how a business is doing. In the process of waiting my turn, a number of people asked if I had been assisted yet. Customer service isn’t something you get in most places these days. I walked around their facility and really got a different feel compared to how I felt at other granite shops. The selection was great, everyone was friendly, and they took the time to teach me about the differences in quality for all of the chioces of a fabricator out there. The professionalism, friendly and incredibly knowledgable staff set them apart from the other “competitors”. My kitchen looks beautiful and the investment in my home was well worth it to have it completed correctly THE FIRST TIME. I will be upgrading a few bathrooms in the future and can’t think of any other granite fabricator I’d rather use.”

    -Maggie