Is it time to upgrade your countertops or are you ready for a complete kitchen overhaul? When you upgrade your kitchen it goes from bland to grand and will quickly become your favorite room in the house. When buying granite countertops for your kitchen or bathroom, don’t go into it blind. Check out these five considerations for buying granite countertops in Birmingham:
- Product Durability – Granite is scratch and heat resistant. It won’t burn or bubble from a hot pan, which makes it a great choice for kitchens. It is also spill resistant, but spills like oil, wine and soda should be cleaned up immediately to avoid any staining or tinting of the counter. However, sealed granite is easy to clean and you can use any non-abrasive product to wipe up the surface. Granite even looks clean when it might not be. Bonus!
- Finishes and Style – Granite is a natural stone that comes in different finishes such as polished (shiny) and honed (matte finish), as well as thickness from 3 to 6 centimeters. It has color and veining deviations so no two slabs are the same. That means your granite counter top is unique to your kitchen! You may notice minor flaws in the material caused from its natural formation. These flaws are filled when the stone is sealed.
- Maintenance – This stone requires regular cleaning and should be resealed once a year. Resealing your granite countertops maintains the nice polished or matte look that shined on the day it was installed. It also helps prevent against any chipping or staining of the material after long-term use.
- Price – Granite used to be one of the more expensive countertop products on the market. It is now comparable to other countertop materials and a top choice for homeowners. Custom-made counter tops are more expensive than prefab, edged slabs of granite.
- Environmental Factors – Granite countertops in Birmingham are a mix of minerals and crystals drilled from quarries. Therefore, like all natural stone, it can produce very low gas fumes. However, these gases are emitted as such low levels that Geiger counters often cannot detect them. More fumes are emitted from your outside ground soil than any piece of granite you purchase.
When you shop for granite countertops in Birmingham, the type and style of countertop you choose can make a difference in the finished look of your kitchen. If you’re interested in making the switch to granite, let our granite experts guide you in choosing the perfect stone for your kitchen and your home. Contact us today to get started.
Image courtesy of: Premier Surfaces